Introduction: harsh working conditions among long-distance truck drivers (LDTDs) expose them to risky sexual interactions while on transit. As a result, the risky sexual interactions among the LDTDs place them at a high risk of contracting human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and sexually transmitted infections (STIs). This study sought to assess the sexual interactions and associated factors among the LDTDs in Kenya.
Methods: two hundred ninety-six (296) LDTDs were interviewed using interviewer-administered questionnaires. A systematic sampling technique was adopted. The number of sexual acts reported by the respondents was used to generate an ordered outcome variable (frequency of sexual interactions), in the order of; no sexual acts (zero), one to three sexual acts (1), and four to six sexual acts (2). Association between the predictor variables and the outcome variable was analyzed using ordered logistic regression analysis in R statistical software.
Results: the mean age of the study participants was 38.4 years, with the youngest being 24 years and the oldest 57 years. Slightly above half of the participants (52.4%) reported no sexual interactions, while the rest (47.6%) had sexual interactions with either casual or regular sexual partners on the week preceding the survey. Age, the number of weeks spent on a transit journey, and drug use were independently associated with the frequency of sexual interactions among LDTDs involved in the study.
Conclusion: the frequencies of sexual interactions are likely to be higher among the younger LDTDs, those who spent more than one week on transit, and those who use alcohol and khat, hence a high exposure risk to HIV/STIs among them.